chgrp - change group ownership
]... GROUP FILE
]... --reference=RFILE FILE
Change the group of each FILE to GROUP. With --reference
, change the
group of each FILE to that of RFILE.
- -c, --changes
- like verbose but report only when a change is made
- affect the referent of each symbolic link (this is the
default), rather than the symbolic link itself
- -h, --no-dereference
- affect each symbolic link instead of any referenced file
(useful only on systems that can change the ownership of a symlink)
- do not treat `/' specially (the default)
- fail to operate recursively on `/'
- -f, --silent, --quiet
- suppress most error messages
- use RFILE's group rather than specifying a GROUP value
- -R, --recursive
- operate on files and directories recursively
- -v, --verbose
- output a diagnostic for every file processed
The following options modify how a hierarchy is traversed when the -R
option is also specified. If more than one is specified, only the final one
- if a command line argument is a symbolic link to a
directory, traverse it
- traverse every symbolic link to a directory
- do not traverse any symbolic links (default)
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
- chgrp staff /u
- Change the group of /u to "staff".
- chgrp -hR staff /u
- Change the group of /u and subfiles to
Written by David MacKenzie and Jim Meyering.
Report chgrp bugs to firstname.lastname@example.org
GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/
General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/
Report chgrp translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/
Copyright © 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL
version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO
WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
The full documentation for chgrp
is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If
programs are properly installed at your site,
- info coreutils 'chgrp invocation'
should give you access to the complete manual.