Scroll to navigation
||System Manager's Manual
debugreiserfs - The debugging tool for the ReiserFS filesystem.
debugreiserfs [ -dDJmoqpuSV ] [ -j device ] [
-B file ] [ -1 N ]
debugreiserfs sometimes helps to solve problems with reiserfs
filesystems. When run without options it prints the super block of the
ReiserFS filesystem found on the device.
- is the special file corresponding to the device (e.g /dev/hdXX for an IDE
disk partition or /dev/sdXX for a SCSI disk partition).
- -j device
- prints the contents of the journal. The option -p allows it to pack the
journal with other metadata into the archive.
- prints the journal header.
- prints the formatted nodes of the internal tree of the filesystem.
- prints the formatted nodes of all used blocks of the filesystem.
- prints the contents of the bitmap (slightly useful).
- prints the objectid map (slightly useful).
- -B file
- takes the list of bad blocks stored in the internal ReiserFS tree and
translates it into an ascii list written to the specified file.
- -1 blocknumber
- prints the specified block of the filesystem.
- extracts the filesystem's metadata with debugreiserfs -p /dev/xxx |
gzip -c > xxx.gz. None of your data are packed unless a filesystem
corruption presents when the whole block having this corruption is packed.
You send us the output, and we use it to create a filesystem with the same
strucure as yours using debugreiserfs -u. When the data file is not
too large, this usually allows us to quickly reproduce and debug the
- builds the ReiserFS filesystem image with gunzip -c xxx.gz |
debugreiserfs -u /dev/image of the previously packed metadata with
debugreiserfs -p. The result image is not the same as the original
filesystem, because mostly only metadata were packed with debugreiserfs
-p, but the filesystem structure is completely recreated.
- When -S is not specified -p deals with blocks marked used in the
filesystem bitmap only. With this option set debugreiserfs will
work with the entire device.
- When -p is in use, suppress showing the speed of progress.
This version of debugreiserfs has been written by Vitaly Fertman
Please report bugs to the ReiserFS developers
<email@example.com>, providing as much information as
possible--your hardware, kernel, patches, settings, all printed messages;
check the syslog file for any related information.