NAME¶po4a-updatepo - update the translation (in PO format) of documentation
SYNOPSIS¶po4a-updatepo -f fmt (-m master.doc)+ (-p XX.po)+
(XX.po are the outputs, all others are inputs)
DESCRIPTION¶The po4a (PO for anything) project goal is to ease translations (and more interestingly, the maintenance of translations) using gettext tools on areas where they were not expected like documentation.
The po4a-updatepo script is in charge of updating PO files to make them reflect the changes made to the original documentation file. For that, it converts the documentation file to a POT file, and call msgmerge(1) on this new POT and on the provided PO files.
It is possible to give more than one PO file (if you want to update several languages at once), and several documentation files (if you want to store the translations of several documents in the same PO file).
If the master document has non-ASCII characters, it will convert the PO files to UTF-8 (if they weren't already), in order to allow non-standard characters in a culture independent way.
- -f, --format
- Format of the documentation you want to handle. Use the --help-format option to see the list of available formats.
- -m, --master
- File(s) containing the master document to translate.
- -M, --master-charset
- Charset of the files containing the document to translate. Note that all files must have the same charset.
- -p, --po
- PO file(s) to update. If these files do not exist, they are created by po4a-updatepo.
- -o, --option
- Extra option(s) to pass to the format plugin. See the documentation of each plugin for more information about the valid options and their meanings. For example, you could pass '-o tablecells' to the AsciiDoc parser, while the text parser would accept '-o tabs=split'.
- This option removes --previous from the options passed to msgmerge. This permits to support versions of gettext earlier than 0.16.
- This option adds --previous to the options passed to msgmerge. It requires gettext 0.16 or later, and is activated by default.
- --msgmerge-opt options
- Extra options for msgmerge(1).
- -h, --help
- Show a short help message.
- List the documentation formats understood by po4a.
- -V, --version
- Display the version of the script and exit.
- -v, --verbose
- Increase the verbosity of the program.
- -d, --debug
- Output some debugging information.
- --porefs type[,wrap|nowrap]
- Specify the reference format. Argument type can be one of
never to not produce any reference, file to only specify the
file without the line number, counter to replace line number by an
increasing counter, and full to include complete references
Argument can be followed by a comma and either wrap or nowrap keyword. References are written by default on a single line. The wrap option wraps references on several lines, to mimic gettext tools (xgettext and msgmerge). This option will become the default in a future release, because it is more sensible. The nowrap option is available so that users who want to keep the old behavior can do so.
- --wrap-po no|newlines|number (default: 76)
- Specify how the po file should be wrapped. This gives the choice between
either files that are nicely wrapped but could lead to git conflicts, or
files that are easier to handle automatically, but harder to read for
Historically, the gettext suite has reformatted the po files at the 77th column for cosmetics. This option specifies the behavior of po4a. If set to a numerical value, po4a will wrap the po file after this column and after newlines in the content. If set to newlines, po4a will only split the msgid and msgstr after newlines in the content. If set to no, po4a will not wrap the po file at all. The wrapping of the reference comments is controlled by the --porefs option.
Note that this option has no impact on how the msgid and msgstr are wrapped, ie on how newlines are added to the content of these strings.
- --msgid-bugs-address email@address
- Set the report address for msgid bugs. By default, the created POT files have no Report-Msgid-Bugs-To fields.
- --copyright-holder string
- Set the copyright holder in the POT header. The default value is "Free Software Foundation, Inc."
- --package-name string
- Set the package name for the POT header. The default is "PACKAGE".
- --package-version string
- Set the package version for the POT header. The default is "VERSION".
SEE ALSO¶po4a-gettextize(1), po4a-normalize(1), po4a-translate(1), po4a(7)
Denis Barbier <email@example.com> Nicolas François <firstname.lastname@example.org> Martin Quinson (mquinson#debian.org)
COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE¶Copyright 2002-2020 by SPI, inc.
This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of GPL (see the COPYING file).