openssl-rand, rand - generate pseudo-random bytes
openssl rand [-help] [-out file] [-rand
file...] [-writerand file] [-base64] [-hex]
The rand command outputs num pseudo-random bytes after seeding the
random number generator once. As in other openssl command line tools,
PRNG seeding uses the file $HOME/.rnd or
.rnd in addition to the files given in the -rand option. A new
$HOME/.rnd or .rnd file will be written
back if enough seeding was obtained from these sources.
- Print out a usage message.
- -out file
- Write to file instead of standard output.
- -rand file...
- A file or files containing random data used to seed the random number
generator. Multiple files can be specified separated by an OS-dependent
character. The separator is ; for MS-Windows, , for OpenVMS,
and : for all others.
- [-writerand file]
- Writes random data to the specified file upon exit. This can be
used with a subsequent -rand flag.
- Perform base64 encoding on the output.
- Show the output as a hex string.
Copyright 2000-2016 The OpenSSL Project Authors. All Rights Reserved.
Licensed under the OpenSSL license (the "License"). You
may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You can obtain
a copy in the file LICENSE in the source distribution or at