NAME¶zcmp - decompress and compare two files byte by byte
SYNOPSIS¶zcmp [options] file1 [file2]
DESCRIPTION¶zcmp compares two files and, if they differ, writes to standard output the first byte and line number where they differ. Bytes and lines are numbered starting with 1. A hyphen '-' used as a file argument means standard input. If any file given is compressed, its decompressed content is used. Compressed files are decompressed on the fly; no temporary files are created.
The formats supported are bzip2, gzip, lzip, and xz.
zcmp compares file1 to file2. The standard input is used only if file1 or file2 refers to standard input. If file2 is omitted zcmp tries the following:
- - If file1 is compressed, compares its decompressed contents with the corresponding uncompressed file (the name of file1 with the extension removed).
- - If file1 is uncompressed, compares it with the decompressed contents of file1.[lz|bz2|gz|xz] (the first one that is found).
Exit status is 0 if inputs are identical, 1 if different, 2 if trouble.
- -h, --help
- display this help and exit
- -V, --version
- output version information and exit
- -b, --print-bytes
- print differing bytes
- -i, --ignore-initial=<n>[:<n2>]
- ignore differences in the first <n> bytes
- -l, --list
- list position, value of all differing bytes
- -M, --format=<list>
- process only the formats in <list>
- -n, --bytes=<n>
- compare at most <n> bytes
- -N, --no-rcfile
- don't read runtime configuration file
- -O, --force-format=[<f1>][,<f2>]
- force the formats given (bz2, gz, lz, xz)
- -q, --quiet
- suppress all messages
- -s, --silent
- (same as --quiet)
- -v, --verbose
- verbose mode (same as --list)
- set compressor and options for bzip2 format
- set compressor and options for gzip format
- set compressor and options for lzip format
- set compressor and options for xz format
Numbers may be followed by a multiplier: k = kB = 10^3 = 1000, Ki = KiB = 2^10 = 1024, M = 10^6, Mi = 2^20, G = 10^9, Gi = 2^30, etc...
REPORTING BUGS¶Report bugs to firstname.lastname@example.org
Zutils home page: http://www.nongnu.org/zutils/zutils.html
COPYRIGHT¶Copyright © 2020 Antonio Diaz Diaz. License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
|June 2020||zcmp (zutils) 1.9|