|TIFFCHECK(8)||System Manager's Manual||TIFFCHECK(8)|
NAME¶tiffcheck - check TIFF for HylaFAX conversion requirements
SYNOPSIS¶/usr/sbin/tiffcheck [ options ] file.tif
DESCRIPTION¶tiffcheck takes TIFF input and writes a multi-line text message to the standard output describing any work needed to prepare the images for facsimile transmission. tiffcheck is usually invoked by tiff2fax(8) script that is used by the HylaFAX scheduler to prepare TIFF documents submitted for transmission.
The first line of output is a series of ``+''-separated words that indicate if the input file should be:
- rejected (``REJECT''),
- reformatted with a different data-encoding scheme (``REFORMAT''),
- scaled to different page dimensions (``RESIZE''),
- reimaged in a different vertical resolution (``REVRES''), or
- reimaged for other reasons such as conversion from color to black&white (``REIMAGE'').
The conversion requirements string will always have keywords in the above order; e.g. ``RESIZE+REVRES'' if the input file needs to be scaled and converted to a different resolution. Information following the first line is descriptive text that explains the reason(s) for the file conversion(s); this text is suitable for return to a client (should document conversion fail or not be attempted). The descriptive text is ordered identically to the keywords in the conversion string; this makes it possible to match up conversion requirements to reasons.
OPTIONS¶The following operations are recognized:
- Set output to be Group 3 1D-encoded.
- Set output to be Group 3 2D-encoded.
- Set output to be Group 4 MMR-encoded.
- -w width
- Set the output page width, in pixels. By default, pages are 1728 pixels wide.
- -l length
- Set the output page length in millimeters. By default, pages are 297 millimeters long.
- -r vres
- Set the vertical resolution, in lines/inch, at which to image the TIFF.
EXAMPLES¶The following color image needs to be converted to black&white, resized to the output page dimensions, and reformatted to use Group 3 1D-encoded data.
hyla% /usr/sbin/tiffcheck jello.tif REFORMAT+RESIZE+REIMAGE Document is not a bilevel image (bits/sample 8). Document requires reformatting, not in Group 3 format. Document requires resizing to adjust page width (convert to 1728, document is 256).
This image is a facsimile received at high resolution (196 lpi); it only needs to be converted to 98 lpi.
hyla% /usr/sbin/tiffcheck faxix.tif REVRES Document requires reformatting to adjust vertical resolution (convert to 98, document is 196).
SEE ALSO¶tiff2fax(8), faxq(8), hylafax-server(5)
|January 18, 1996|