NAME¶radvd - router advertisement daemon for IPv6
SYNOPSIS¶radvd [ -hsvc ] [ -d debuglevel ] [ -C configfile ] [ -p pidfile ] [ -m logmethod ] [ -l logfile ] [ -f facility ] [ -t chrootdir ] [ -u username ]
DESCRIPTION¶radvd is the router advertisement daemon for IPv6. It listens to router solicitations and sends router advertisements as described in "Neighbor Discovery for IP Version 6 (IPv6)" (RFC 4861). With these advertisements hosts can automatically configure their addresses and some other parameters. It also defines "Neighbor Discovery Optimization for IPv6 over Low-Power Wireless Personal Area Networks (6LoWPANs)" (RFC6775). They also can choose a default router based on these advertisements.
The configuration file must not be writable by others, and if non-root operation is requested, not even by self/own group.
OPTIONS¶For every one character option there is also a long option, which is listed right next to the "short" option name:
- -v, --version
- Displays the version of radvd and then aborts.
- -h, --help
- Displays a short usage description and then aborts.
- -c, --configtest
- Test configuration and do startup tests and then exit.
- -d debuglevel, --debug debuglevel
- With this option you turn on debugging information. The debugging level is an integer in the range from 1 to 5, from quiet to very verbose. A debugging level of 0 completely turns off debugging. If a debugging level greater than 0 is used, radvd doesn't background itself on start. The default debugging level is 0.
- -C configfile, --config configfile
- Specifies an alternate config file. Normally the compiled in default /etc/radvd.conf is used.
- -p pidfile, --pidfile pidfile
- Specifies an alternate pidfile. Normally the compiled in default /var/run/radvd.pid is used.
- -m method, --logmethod method
- Specifies the logging method to use. Possibly values are:
- Completely disables any logging.
- Logs to the logfile which is specified by the -l option. If no logfile is specified on the command line, then a compiled in default is used (see next option).
- Logs to standard error.
- Logs only the high messages (of at least LOG_ERR priority) to standard error, and everything to syslog (default method).
- Logs to syslog.
- -l logfile, --logfile logfile
- Specifies the logfile to use when using the logging method logfile. The default logfile is /var/log/radvd.log.
- -f facility, --facility facility
- Specifies the facility (as an integer) when using syslog logging. Default is LOG_DAEMON.
- -t chrootdir, --chrootdir chrootdir
- If specified, switches to chrootdir before doing anything else.
This directory and its subdirectories must have been populated first. For
security reasons, -u must always be used when using
Note that on Linux radvd requires access to the /proc filesystem, so it is more challenging to set up the chroot environment.
- -u username, --username username
- If specified, drops root privileges and changes user ID to username and group ID to the primary group of username. This is recommended for security reasons. You might also need to use -p to point to a file in a username -writable directory (e.g. /var/run/radvd/radvd.pid).
/usr/sbin/radvd /etc/radvd.conf /var/run/radvd.pid /var/log/radvd.log
BUGS¶There certainly are some bugs. If you find them or have other suggestions please contact Reuben Hawkins <email@example.com>.
SEE ALSO¶radvd.conf(5), radvdump(8)
Pedro Roque <firstname.lastname@example.org> - wrote first version for Linux Lars Fenneberg <email@example.com> - previous maintainer Nathan Lutchansky <firstname.lastname@example.org> - previous maintainer Pekka Savola <email@example.com> - previous maintainer Craig Metz <firstname.lastname@example.org> - port to NRL's IPv6 code for BSD4.4 Marko Myllynen <email@example.com> - RFC 2461 update, Mobile IPv6 support Jim Paris <firstname.lastname@example.org> - Privilege separation support Reuben Hawkins <email@example.com> - current maintainer Pierre Ossman <firstname.lastname@example.org> - RFC6106 (DNSSL) support Varka Bhadram <email@example.com> - 6LoWPAN-ND (RFC6775) support
|14 Dec 2010||radvd 2.15|