NAME¶dh_installexamples - install example files into package build directories
SYNOPSIS¶dh_installexamples [debhelper options] [-A] [-Xitem] [file ...]
DESCRIPTION¶dh_installexamples is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing examples into usr/share/doc/package/examples in package build directories.
From debhelper compatibility level 11 on, dh_install will fall back to looking in debian/tmp for files, if it does not find them in the current directory (or wherever you've told it to look using --sourcedir).
- Lists example files or directories to be installed.
- -A, --all
- Install any files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on.
- Look in the specified directory for files to be installed. This option
requires compat 11 or later (it is silently ignored in compat 10 or
Note that this is not the same as the --sourcedirectory option used by the dh_auto_* commands. You rarely need to use this option, since dh_installexamples automatically looks for files in debian/tmp in debhelper compatibility level 11 and above.
- Set the main package for a documentation package. This is used to install
the documentation of the documentation package in
/usr/share/doc/main-package as recommended by the
Debian policy manual 3.9.7 in §12.3.
In compat 11 (or later), this option is only useful if debhelper's auto-detection of the main package is wrong. The option can also be used to silence a warning from debhelper when the auto-detection fails but the default happens to be correct.
This option cannot be used when dh_installexamples is instructed to act on multiple packages. If you need this option, you will generally need to combine it with -p to ensure exactly one package is acted on.
- -Xitem, --exclude=item
- Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed.
- file ...
- Install these files (or directories) as examples into the first package acted on. (Or into all packages if -A is specified.)
NOTES¶Note that dh_installexamples will happily copy entire directory hierarchies if you ask it to (similar to cp -a). If it is asked to install a directory, it will install the complete contents of the directory.
This program is a part of debhelper.
AUTHOR¶Joey Hess <email@example.com>