PWRITX - draws text and other characters using polylines.
This routine is part of the Pwrite_family utility in NCAR Graphics. To see the overview man page for this utility, type "man pwrite_family".
PWRITX is obsolete. It has been replaced by the PLCHHQ, PLCHMQ, and PLCHLQ entries of the Plotchar utility.
PWRITX continues to be provided for compatibility of early NCAR Graphics codes. If you are writing new code, we suggest that you use Plotchar.
CALL PWRITX (X,Y,IDPC,NCHAR,JSIZE,JOR,JCTR)
- (an input parameter of type REAL) defining the X world coordinate of the text string to be drawn using polylines.
- (an input parameter of type REAL) defining the Y world coordinate of the text string to be drawn using polylines.
- (an input string of type CHARACTER) which are the characters to be drawn. There may also be embedded function codes describing how certain characters are to be drawn.
- (an input parameter of type INTEGER) giving the number of characters in the IDPC string. NCHAR includes a count of all characters in the string including the function codes.
- (an input parameter of type INTEGER) giving the width of the characters to
One can relate these sizes to a viewport in normalized device coordinates (each axis runs 0. to 1.) by dividing by 1023. That is a character of width .05 would take up 5% of the possible picture width meaning that less than 20 characters could fit on a line.
0 - 1.0 * the size of the digitized
characters in the database
1 - 1.5 * digitized size
2 - 2.0 * digitized size
3 - 3.0 * digitized size
If greater than 3:
Principal characters = JSIZE
Indexical characters = (13/21)*JSIZE
Cartographic characters = ( 9/21)*JSIZE
Note that there is an important difference in how text sizes are handled in GKS versus PWRITX. In GKS, text size is given in terms of character heights. In PWRITX, text size (JSIZE) is given in character width.
- (an input parameter of type INTEGER) giving the orientation at which the IDPC string is to be drawn. JOR is measured counter-clockwise from the positive X axis.
- (an input parameter of type INTEGER) giving the centering option for the
IDPC character string.
0, (X,Y) is the center of the entire IDPC string.
-1, (X,Y) is the center of the left edge of the
1 (X,Y) is the center of the right edge of the
To use PWRITX, load the NCAR Graphics libraries ncarg, ncarg_gks, ncarg_c, and ncarg_c, preferably in that order.
Online: pwrite_family, pwrity, plotchar, plchhq, plchmq, plchlq
Hardcopy: NCAR Graphics Fundamentals, UNIX Version; User's Guide for NCAR GKS-0A Graphics
Copyright (C) 1987-2009
University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
The use of this Software is governed by a License Agreement.