|man(1)||Profanity XMPP client||man(1)|
Profanity - a simple console based XMPP chat client.
profanity [-vh] [-l level] [-a account]
Profanity is a simple lightweight console based XMPP chat
client. Its emphasis is on having a simple and configurable command driven
UI, see the homepage at:
- -v, --version
- Show version and build information.
- -h, --help
- Show help on command line arguments.
- -a, --account ACCOUNT
- Auto connect to an account on startup, ACCOUNT must be an existing account.
- -c, --config
- Use an alternative config file.
- -l, --log LEVEL
- Set the logging level, LEVEL may be set to DEBUG, INFO (the default), WARN or ERROR.
- -f, --logfile
- Specify a different logfile
- -t, --theme THEME
- Specify which theme to use. THEME must be one of the themes installed in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/profanity/themes
- Tab, Shift+Tab
- Tab completion next, previous. Works for commands, nicks and quotes (when input line starts with >).
- ALT+1..Alt-0 or F1..F10
- Choose window 1..10.
- ALT+q..Alt-p (in QWERTY layout)
- Choose window 11..20.
- Choose previous chat window.
- Choose next chat window.
- Page the active window up.
- Page the active window down.
- Page the occupants or roster panel up.
- Page the occupants or roster panel down.
- Jump to the next unread window.
- Mark current window for later reading with an attention flag.
- Switch between windows marked with the attention flag.
- Run external editor (see profanity-editor(1)) for current input line.
- Store current input line in history but do not execute it.
Note: Profanity is using GNU Readline library to handle input so default configuration file ~/.inputrc affects operation. In addition to that $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/profanity/inputrc is read after all default keybindigs are set so one can override or add settings there. For reference, see Readline documentation: info readline "Command Line Editing" "Readline Init File" "Readline Init File Syntax" and the list of available Profanity commands in inputwin.c. Standard Readline keybindings are supported, including C-r for interactive history search and C-x C-r for reloading inputrc without restart.
The user guide can be found at <https://profanity-im.github.io/userguide.html>.
Profanity itself has a lot of built-in help. Check the /help command for more information. Type "/help help" for information on how to use help itself. Profanity ships with one man page for each built-in command, e.g. there is profanity-account(1) for /account.
Configuration for Profanity is stored in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/profanity/profrc , details on commands for configuring Profanity can be found at <https://profanity-im.github.io/reference.html> or the respective built-in help or man pages.
Bugs can either be reported by raising an issue at the Github
or to the mailing list at:
Copyright (C) 2012 - 2019 James Booth <firstname.lastname@example.org>. Copyright (C) 2019 - 2022 Michael Vetter <email@example.com>. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> This is free software; you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
Profanity was created by James Booth <firstname.lastname@example.org> with many contributions from others, see the full list at: <https://github.com/profanity-im/profanity/graphs/contributors>