table of contents
|sane-sceptre(5)||SANE Scanner Access Now Easy||sane-sceptre(5)|
sane-sceptre - SANE backend for SCEPTRE scanners
The sane-sceptre library implements a SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy) backend that provides access to Sceptre flatbed scanners. This backend should be considered beta-quality software! Please report any strange behavior to the maintainer of the backend or to the SANE mailing list.
At present, only one scanner is known to work with this backend:
Model Connection Type --------------------------- ------------------- Sceptre VividScan S1200 SCSI
The make of this scanner is KINPO, so other scanners from that manufacturer may also work (eg. the S600).
The options the backend supports can either be selected through command line options to programs like scanimage(1) or through GUI elements in xscanimage(1) or xsane(1).
Valid command line options and their syntax can be listed by using
- Scan Mode
- --mode Lineart|Halftone|Gray|Color
- Selects the basic mode of operation of the scanner. The Lineart and Halftone mode are black and white only (1 bit). Gray will produce 256 levels of gray (8 bits). Color will produce a 24 bits color image. The scanner supports 30 bits internally but it only exports 24.
- --resolution 50..1200
- Selects the resolution for a scan. The scanner can do several resolutions between 50 and 1200.
- --halftone-pattern 1|2|3|4
- Selects the pattern mode that is used in Halftone mode.
- --gamma-correction Default|User Defined|High Density Printing|Low density printing|High contrast printing
- controls the scanner internal gamma correction.
- Allows the user to specify a gamma table (see the next 3 parameters). Color mode only.
- Can be used to download a user defined gamma table for the red channel. The table must be 256 bytes long. Color mode only.
- Can be used to download a user defined gamma table for the green channel. The table must be 256 bytes long. Color mode only.
- Can be used to download a user defined gamma table for the blue channel. The table must be 256 bytes long. Color mode only.
- --threshold 0..255
- Sets the threshold for black and white pixels in Lineart mode. Possible values are from 0 (darker) to 255 (lighter).
- Requests a preview scan. The resolution used for that scan is 30 dpi and the scan area is the maximum allowed. The scan mode is user selected. The default is "no".
- The geometry options
- -l -t -x -y
- control the scan area: -l sets the top left x coordinate, -t the top left y coordinate, -x selects the width and -y the height of the scan area. All parameters are specified in millimeters by default.
The configuration file /etc/sane.d/sceptre.conf supports only one item: the device name to use (eg /dev/scanner).
- The static library implementing this backend.
- The shared library implementing this backend (present on systems that support dynamic loading).
- If the library was compiled with debug support enabled, this environment variable controls the debug level for this backend. E.g., a value of 128 requests all debug output to be printed. Smaller levels reduce verbosity.
- The windows TWAIN driver can be set to any resolution between 50 to 1200 (excluding software interpolation). This backend cannot. Only a handful of resolution are available, although they should be numerous enough.
sane-scsi(5), scanimage(1), xscanimage(1), xsane(1), sane(7)
|11 Jul 2008|