|ZNEW(1)||General Commands Manual||ZNEW(1)|
znew - recompress .Z files to .gz files
znew [ -ftv9PK] [ name.Z ... ]
The Znew command recompresses files from .Z (compress) format to .gz (gzip) format. If you want to recompress a file already in gzip format, rename the file to force a .Z extension then apply znew.
- Force recompression from .Z to .gz format even if a .gz file already exists.
- Tests the new files before deleting originals.
- Verbose. Display the name and percentage reduction for each file compressed.
- Use the slowest compression method (optimal compression).
- Use pipes for the conversion to reduce disk space usage.
- Keep a .Z file when it is smaller than the .gz file; implies -t.