Scroll to navigation
||General Commands Manual
znew - recompress .Z files to .gz files
znew [ -ftv9PK] [ name.Z ... ]
Znew recompresses files from .Z (compress) format to .gz (gzip) format.
If you want to recompress a file already in gzip format, rename the file to
force a .Z extension then apply znew.
- Force recompression from .Z to .gz format even if a .gz file already
- Tests the new files before deleting originals.
- Verbose. Display the name and percentage reduction for each file
- Use the slowest compression method (optimal compression).
- Use pipes for the conversion to reduce disk space usage.
- Keep a .Z file when it is smaller than the .gz file; implies
If the -P option is used, znew does not maintain the timestamp if
touch(1) does not support the -r option, and does not maintain
permissions if chmod(1) does not support the --reference option.