|glhackrc(5)||File Formats Manual||glhackrc(5)|
glhackrc - Configuration file for the glHack game
The glHack configuration file stores settings for both standard NetHack options (like "hilite_pet") and glHack-specific options (like "keyrepeat"). Options that take a value will be shown here with example values.
The config file is always ~/.glhackrc
The format is a superset of the standard NetHack configuration file format (.nethackrc). Lines beginning with a hash (`#') are comments and are ignored. Blank lines are also ignored. The remaining lines have the form:
(The keywords are uppercase as a matter of convention, but don't need to be). The two main keywords are OPTIONS and GL_OPTIONS. The first is used for standard NetHack options, and the latter is new and is used for glHack-specific options. NetHack also defines some additional keywords: DUNGEON, EFFECTS, MONSTERS, TRAPS, and BOULDER, which have little relevance to glHack since they only control the text map view.
The data after the `=' sign depends on the keyword. For both OPTIONS and GL_OPTIONS, the data consists of one or more option names (possibly with values) separated with commas (`,'). A colon (`:') is used in between an option name and its value. For example:
contains two glHack options: "windowed" (without any value), and "depth" (with the value "32").
Options can be booleans, integers, or strings. Boolean options are enabled simply by including their name, and are disabled by using an exclamation mark (`!') before their name (e.g. "!windowed"). String values should not be quoted.
These options must appear after the GL_OPTIONS keyword:
- Use the specified video mode. Normally glHack will autodetect the mode, but using this option will override that. The default value (when all else fails) is 800x600.
- Video depth (bits per pixel). Possible values are 15, 16, 24 and 32, and 8 when using the software renderer. The default value is autodetected.
- Open in a window. Default is fullscreen.
- Gamma correction value. Range is -5 to +5, where positive values make the screen brighter, and negative values make it darker. Zero is the default value (no adjustment).
- Sets the "jail" size, which is a percentage of the size of the
screen. Usable range is 1 to 100.
The jail controls when the map window scrolls: when set to 1, the player will always be centered on the screen. and the map always scrolls when moving. When set to 100, the map will only scroll if the player tries to move off the edge of the screen.
This option is ignored when "jumpscroll" is enabled (see below).
- Sets the default zoom factor, in pixels. Use 0 to make it the same as the tile size (i.e. 1:1 scale), which is the default. Use 8 to mean the text-mode view.
- Enables/disables keyboard auto-repeat. Use "never" to disable it everywhere, "always" to enable it everywhere, and "partial" is a compromise which enables auto-repeat for scrolling windows (etc) but disables it for game commands (moving, etc).
- Enables the alternate previous history (CTRL-P) mode, which is more like the TTY version: the lines are limited to the message window, and you don't need to press CTRL-O, space or escape to dismiss the window.
- Number of lines to step through the previous message history. For altprev mode, using the same value as the message window height (vary_msgcount) gives the best results. That is the default for altprev mode, for normal mode the default is 1.
- Causes text windows that don't fit across the screen to be reformatted. The default is off.
- Shrinks the fonts on text windows if they don't fit across the screen. It's mainly an alternative to the `reformat' option. Default is off.
- Flips monster tiles horizontally so the direction they face on-screen matches the direction they are moving in. NOTE: this only works in GL mode, and it doesn't work with the Isometric tileset.
- Scrolls the map window in large jumps, rather than single steps, which improves speed when using the software renderer. When enabled, the standard NetHack option "scroll_margin" will be used to decide when to scroll.
- Draws monsters which are invisible (but can be seen by the player) using alpha blending (i.e. translucently). Default is off.
Note that this manpage only documents a few standard NetHack options (ones particularly relevant to glHack). There are many more available, please consult the NetHack Guidebook for the complete list.
These options must appear after the OPTIONS keyword:
- The windowtype option is very important for glHack. This is the only way
to select between the OpenGL renderer and the pure software renderer.
The `GL' value (without quotes) selects the OpenGL renderer. This is the default.
The `SDL' value selects the software renderer.
- Choose the tileset to use. Allowable values are 16, 32 and 64. The 16x16 tiles are the same as the standard NetHack 3.4.0 ones. The other tiles have been created (from many sources) specially for glHack. The value `64' selects the Isometric (pseudo-3D) tileset. The default is 32.
font_size_map:20 font_size_message:8 font_size_status:14 font_size_menu:22font_size_text:22
- These options set the font size used in various windows on the screen.
Each number represent the font's height, and there are currently four
fonts available: 8, 14, 20 and 22. All fonts use the IBM VGA character set
(cp437), and the `IBMgraphics' option can be enabled for the text map
The default for font_size_map is 14, and for font_size_message is 20. The default values for the rest will be copied from font_size_message (allowing them to all share the same size).
- Sets the number of lines in the message window. Acceptable range is between 2 and 8. The default is 3.
- When the glHack option "jumpscroll" is enabled, the value of scroll_margin is used to determine when to scroll. It specifies (roughly) the number of tiles to leave at the edge of the screen, so when the player crosses that line, the map scrolls.
- Can be used to enable/disable the initial splash screen. It is enabled by default.
Here is an example configuration file:
# # glHack Config file # OPTIONS=windowtype:SDL OPTIONS=tile_height:32,vary_msgcount:3 OPTIONS=font_size_message:20,font_size_map:14 OPTIONS=dogname:Woofer,catname:Morris OPTIONS=horsename:Tally,fruit:mango OPTIONS=color,hilite_pet,safe_pet OPTIONS=verbose,lit_corridor,confirm OPTIONS=pickup_burden:U,pickup_types:$?!/=" OPTIONS=!showexp,showscore,splash_screen,!time OPTIONS=toptenwin,tombstone,menustyle:partial OPTIONS=!prayconfirm,pushweapon,disclose:yi ya yv # GL_OPTIONS=!windowed,keyrepeat:always GL_OPTIONS=altprev,prevstep:3 GL_OPTIONS=flipping,!jumpscroll
The glHack Homepage: http://glhack.sourceforge.net/
The official NetHack page: http://www.nethack.org/