- unstable 0.8.14-5.1
NAME¶kdb-merge - Three-way merge of KeySets
SYNOPSIS¶kdb merge [options] ourpath theirpath basepath resultpath
- Path to the keyset to serve as ours
- path to the keyset to serve as theirs
- path to the base keyset
- path without keys where the merged keyset will be saved
DESCRIPTION¶Does a three-way merge between keysets.
On success the resulting keyset will be saved to mergepath.
On unresolved conflicts nothing will be changed.
THREE-WAY MERGE¶The kdb merge command uses a three-way merge by default.
A three-way merge is when three versions of a file (or in this case, KeySet) are compared in order to automatically merge the changes made to the KeySet over time.
These three versions of the KeySet are:
- The base KeySet is the original version of the KeySet.
- The ours KeySet represents the user´s current version of the
This KeySet differs from base for every key you changed.
- The theirs KeySet usually represents the default version of a
KeySet (usually the package maintainer´s version).
This KeySet differs from base for every key someone has changed.
The three-way merge works by comparing the ours KeySet and the theirs KeySet to the base KeySet. By looking for differences in these KeySets, a new KeySet called result is created that represents a merge of these KeySets.
CONFLICTS¶Conflicts occur when a Key has a different value in all three KeySets.
Conflicts in a merge can be resolved using a strategy with the -s option. To interactively resolve conflicts, use the -i option.
- -H, --help: Show the man page.
- -V, --version: Print version info.
- s, --strategy <name>: Specify which strategy should be used to resolve conflicts.
- -v, --verbose: Explain what is happening.
- -i, --interactive Interactively resolve the conflicts.
EXAMPLES¶To complete a simple merge of three KeySets:
kdb merge user/ours user/theirs user/base user/result
To complete a merge whilst using the ours version of the
KeySet to resolve conflicts:
kdb merge -s ours user/ours user/theirs user/base user/result
To complete a three-way merge and overwrite all current keys in
kdb merge -s cut user/ours user/theirs user/base user/result
- elektra-merge-strategies(7) elektra-merge-strategies