NAME¶knife-show - The man page for the knife show subcommand. The knife show subcommand is used to view the details of one (or more) objects on the Chef server. This subcommand works similar to knife cookbook show, knife data bag show, knife environment show, knife node show, and knife role show, but with a single verb (and a single action). Syntax This subcommand has the following syntax:
$ knife show [PATTERN...] (options)
Options This subcommand has the following options:
- -a ATTR, --attribute ATTR
- The attribute (or attributes) to show.
- -c CONFIG_FILE, --config CONFIG_FILE
- The configuration file to use.
- --chef-repo-path PATH
- The path to the chef-repo. This setting will override the default path to the chef-repo. Default: same as specified by chef_repo_path in config.rb.
- --chef-zero-port PORT
- The port on which chef-zero will listen.
- Use to view colored output.
- The number of allowed concurrent connections. Default: 10.
- -d, --disable-editing
- Use to prevent the $EDITOR from being opened and to accept data as-is.
- Use to have knife use the default value instead of asking a user to provide one.
- -e EDITOR, --editor EDITOR
- The $EDITOR that is used for all interactive commands.
- -E ENVIRONMENT, --environment ENVIRONMENT
- The name of the environment. When this option is added to a command, the command will run only against the named environment.
- -F FORMAT, --format FORMAT
- The output format: summary (default), text, json, yaml, and pp.
- -h, --help
- Shows help for the command.
- -k KEY, --key KEY
- The private key that knife will use to sign requests made by the API client to the Chef server.
- Use to show local files instead of remote files.
- Use to show data after a destructive operation.
- --repo-mode MODE
- The layout of the local chef-repo. Possible values: static, everything, or hosted_everything. Use static for just roles, environments, cookbooks, and data bags. By default, everything and hosted_everything are dynamically selected depending on the server type. Default: everything / hosted_everything.
- -s URL, --server-url URL
- The URL for the Chef server.
- -u USER, --user USER
- The user name used by knife to sign requests made by the API client to the Chef server. Authentication will fail if the user name does not match the private key.
- -v, --version
- The version of the chef-client.
- -V, --verbose
- Set for more verbose outputs. Use -VV for maximum verbosity.
- -y, --yes
- Use to respond to all confirmation prompts with "Yes". knife will not ask for confirmation.
- -z, --local-mode
- Use to run the chef-client in local mode. This allows all commands that work against the Chef server to also work against the local chef-repo.
Examples To show all cookbooks in the cookbooks/ directory:
$ knife show cookbooks/
or, (if already in the cookbooks/ directory in the local chef-repo):
$ knife show
$ knife show roles/ environments/