NAME¶chef-apply - The man page for the chef-apply command line tool.
chef-apply allows a single recipe to be run from the command line.
OPTIONS¶This command has the following syntax:
This tool has the following options:
- -e RECIPE_TEXT, --execute RECIPE_TEXT
- Use to execute a resource using a string.
- -l LEVEL, --log_level LEVEL
- The level of logging that will be stored in a log file.
- -s, --stdin
- Use to execute a resource using standard input.
- -v, --version
- The version of the chef-client.
- -W, --why-run
- Use to run the executable in why-run mode, which is a type of chef-client run that does everything except modify the system. Use why-run mode to understand why the chef-client makes the decisions that it makes and to learn more about the current and proposed state of the system.
- -h, --help
- Shows help for the command.
EXAMPLES¶To use chef-apply to run a recipe named machinations.rb, enter the following:
$ chef-apply machinations.rb