|TCS(1)||General Commands Manual||TCS(1)|
NAME¶tcs - translate character sets
SYNOPSIS¶tcs [ -slcv ] [ -f ics ] [ -t ocs ] [ file ... ]
DESCRIPTION¶Tcs interprets the named file(s) (standard input default) as a stream of characters from the ics character set or format, converts them to runes, and then converts them into a stream of characters from the ocs character set or format on the standard output. The default value for ics and ocs is utf, the UTF encoding described in utf(6). The -l option lists the character sets known to tcs. Processing continues in the face of conversion errors (the -s option prevents reporting of these errors). The -c option forces the output to contain only correctly converted characters; otherwise, 0x80 characters will be substituted for UTF encoding errors and 0xFFFD characters will substituted for unknown characters.
The -v option generates various diagnostic and summary information on standard error, or makes the -l output more verbose.
Tcs recognizes an ever changing list of character sets. In particular, it supports a variety of Russian and Japanese encodings. Some of the supported encodings are
- The Plan 9 UTF encoding, known by ISO as UTF-8
- The deprecated original UTF encoding from ISO 10646
- 7-bit ASCII
- Latin-1 (Central European)
- Latin-2 (Czech .. Slovak)
- Latin-3 (Dutch .. Turkish)
- Latin-4 (Scandinavian)
- Part 5 (Cyrillic)
- Part 6 (Arabic)
- Part 7 (Greek)
- Part 8 (Hebrew)
- Latin-5 (Finnish .. Portuguese)
- KOI-8 (GOST 19769-74)
- ISO 2022-JP
- EUC-JX: JIS 0208
- Microsoft, or Shift-JIS
- (from only) guesses between ISO 2022-JP, EUC or Shift-Jis
- Chinese national standard (GB2312-80)
- Big 5 (HKU version)
- Unicode Standard 1.0
- Thai character set plus ASCII (TIS 620-1986)
- IBM PC: CP 437
- Atari-ST character set
- tcs -f 8859-1
- Convert 8859-1 (Latin-1) characters into UTF format.
- tcs -s -f jis
- Convert characters encoded in one of several shift JIS encodings into UTF format. Unknown Kanji will be converted into 0xFFFD characters.
- tcs -lv
- Print an up to date list of the supported character sets.