|SDIG(1)||PowerDNS Authoritative Server||SDIG(1)|
sdig - Perform a DNS query and show the results
sdig IP-ADDRESS-OR-DOH-URL PORT QNAME QTYPE [OPTION]
sdig sends a DNS query to IP-ADDRESS-OR-DOH-URL on port PORT and displays the answer in a formatted way. If the address starts with an h, it is assumed to be a DoH endpoint, and PORT is ignored. If qname and qtype are both - and tcp is used, multiple lines are read from stdin, where each line contains a qname and a type. If the address is stdin, a DNS packet is read from stdin instead of from the network, and PORT is ignored. All input is literal and case sensitive. Queries need option recurse to expect a resource record reply if the query target is not known to be the authoritative server for that record.
These options can be added to the commandline in any order.
- class CLASSNUM
- Send the query in the numbered class (like 3 for CHAOS) instead of the default 1 (for IN).
- Set the DO bit to request DNSSEC information.
- ednssubnet SUBNET
- Send SUBNET in the edns-client-subnet option. If this option is not set, no edns-client-subnet option is set in the query.
- Don't show the SOA serial in the response.
- Replace TTLs with [ttl] in the response.
- proxy TCP? SRC DST
- Wrap query in PROXYv2 protocol with these parameters. The first parameter accepts 0 for UDP and 1 for TCP. The second and third take IP addresses and port.
- Set the RD bit in the question.
- Show the NSEC3 flags in the response (they are hidden by default).
- Display record contents in a form suitable for dnsdist's SpoofRawAction.
- Use TCP instead of UDP to send the query.
- use DoT instead of UDP to send a query. Implies tcp.
- when using DoT, do not validate the server certificate.
- when using TCP or, DoT, enable TCP Fast Open
- subjectName name
- when using DoT, verify the server certificate is issued for name. The openssl provider will accept an empty name and still make sure the certificate is issued by a trusted CA, gnutls will only do the validation if a name is given. Default is the empty name. Also, note that older provide libraries might not validate at all.
- caStore file
- when using DoT, read the trusted CA certificates from file. Default is to use the system provided CA store.
- tlsProvider name
- when using DoT, use TLS provider name. Currently supported (if compiled in): openssl and gnutls. Default is openssl if available.
- xpf XPFCODE XPFVERSION XPFPROTO XPFSRC XPFDST
- Send an XPF additional with these parameters.
- opcode OPNUM
- Use opcode OPNUM instead of 0 (Query). For example, sdig 192.0.2.1 53 example.com SOA opcode 4 sends a NOTIFY.
- Simple queries to local resolvers
- sdig 127.0.0.1 53 example.com AAAA recurse sdig ::1 53 example.com A recurse
- Query to a DNS-over-HTTPS server requesting dnssec and recursion
- sdig https://dns.example.net/dns-query 443 example.com A dnssec recurse
2001-2022, PowerDNS.COM BV
|July 12, 2022|