|BOS_HELP(8)||AFS Command Reference||BOS_HELP(8)|
bos_help - Displays help for bos commands
bos help [-topic <help string>+] [-help]
bos h [-t <help string>+] [-h]
The bos help command displays the complete online help entry (short description and syntax statement) for each command operation code specified by the -topic argument. If the -topic argument is omitted, the output includes the first line (name and short description) of the online help entry for every bos command.
To list every bos command whose name or short description includes a specified keyword, use the bos apropos command.
- -topic <help string>+
- Indicates each command for which to display the complete online help entry. Omit the bos part of the command name, providing only the operation code (for example, specify status, not bos status). If this argument is omitted, the output briefly describes every bos command.
- Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored.
The online help entry for each bos command consists of the following two or three lines:
- The first line names the command and briefly describes its function.
- The second line lists aliases for the command, if any.
- The final line, which begins with the string "Usage", lists the command's options in the prescribed order. Online help entries use the same symbols (for example, brackets) as the reference pages in this document.
The following command displays the online help entry for the bos status command:
% bos help status bos status: show server instance status Usage: bos status -server <machine name> [-instance <server process name>+] [-long] [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-localauth] [-help]
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved.
This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell.