|KWALLETCLI_GETPIN(1)||General Commands Manual||KWALLETCLI_GETPIN(1)|
command line interface to pinentry
kwalletcli_getpin utility is a shell
wrapper speaking to
pinentry using the Assuan
protocol. It will ask the user for a passphrase and print it, without any
trailing newline, to standard output. There are options for asking a boolean
question or displaying a message.
PINENTRY is not empty but points to a
non-existing or failing program,
pinentry is not
called. Instead, xmessage(1) is used for boolean queries
and messages if
DISPLAY is set; otherwise,
kwalletcli_getpin uses simple terminal I/O on
GPG_TTY using stty(1) to disable
echo of terminal input for passphrase queries.
The options are as follows:
- Ask for a confirmation (boolean) instead of a passphrase.
- Unset a previously set error text.
- Set the error text to errtxt, displaying a dialogue box with a red X icon indicating that this is a retry question.
- Display a message (one-button query) instead of asking.
- Use NoText instead of
Cancelfor the text of the abort button, if any.
- Set the small descriptive text shown in front of the input field (“the Prompt”) to prompt.
- Be more quiet.
- Set the descriptive text (the input challenge) to desctxt.
- Use YesText instead of
OKfor the text of the confirm button.
All input and output is assumed to be in UTF-8.
kwalletcli_getpin utility exits 0 on
success, 1 if the passphrase input was cancelled by the user, or >1 if an
error occurred. Confirmation (boolean) error codes are 0 for Yes, 1 for No,
or >1 if an error occurred. Messages return >0 if an error occurred, 0
A summary of the error codes follows:
- Read password successfully. Boolean question returned Yes/OK.
- Boolean question returned No/Cancel.
- Wrong command line syntax.
- The process reading user input unexpectedly terminated or errored out.
- Unexpected result reading from pinentry.
- Unable to determine controlling tty, caller must set
- Caught SIGHUP, SIGINT, SIGQUIT, SIGTRAP, SIGPIPE, or SIGTERM.
- If not set, pass current terminal information to
- Terminal type of the current tty. Defaults to the value of the environment
TERM, or “vt100” if unset.
- The current terminal, determined by tty(1) if unset.
- Passed to
pinentry. Default: “en_US.UTF-8”
- Passed to
pinentry. Unset by default.
pinentryprogram to use. Default: “pinentry”
kwalletcli_getpin was written by
mirabilos ⟨firstname.lastname@example.org⟩ mostly for
tarent solutions GmbH.
Some newer pinentry features, such as three-button operation or setting the window title, are not supported yet.
pinentry programs may not support
messages correctly and display them as boolean queries instead.
Some implementations display labels with the wrong charset.
Neither of these two problems is an issue in
kwalletcli_getpin but a bug of the backend
|November 19, 2020||Debian|