NAME¶tr - translate or delete characters
SYNOPSIS¶tr [OPTION]... SET1 [SET2]
DESCRIPTION¶Translate, squeeze, and/or delete characters from standard input, writing to standard output.
- -c, -C, --complement
- use the complement of SET1
- -d, --delete
- delete characters in SET1, do not translate
- -s, --squeeze-repeats
- replace each sequence of a repeated character that is listed in the last specified SET, with a single occurrence of that character
- -t, --truncate-set1
- first truncate SET1 to length of SET2
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
SETs are specified as strings of characters. Most represent themselves. Interpreted sequences are:
- character with octal value NNN (1 to 3 octal digits)
- audible BEL
- form feed
- new line
- horizontal tab
- vertical tab
- all characters from CHAR1 to CHAR2 in ascending order
- in SET2, copies of CHAR until length of SET1
- REPEAT copies of CHAR, REPEAT octal if starting with 0
- all letters and digits
- all letters
- all horizontal whitespace
- all control characters
- all digits
- all printable characters, not including space
- all lower case letters
- all printable characters, including space
- all punctuation characters
- all horizontal or vertical whitespace
- all upper case letters
- all hexadecimal digits
- all characters which are equivalent to CHAR
Translation occurs if -d is not given and both SET1 and SET2 appear. -t may be used only when translating. SET2 is extended to length of SET1 by repeating its last character as necessary. Excess characters of SET2 are ignored. Only [:lower:] and [:upper:] are guaranteed to expand in ascending order; used in SET2 while translating, they may only be used in pairs to specify case conversion. -s uses the last specified SET, and occurs after translation or deletion.
AUTHOR¶Written by Jim Meyering.
REPORTING BUGS¶GNU coreutils online help: <https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/>
Report any translation bugs to <https://translationproject.org/team/>
COPYRIGHT¶Copyright © 2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
SEE ALSO¶Full documentation <https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/tr>
or available locally via: info '(coreutils) tr invocation'
|September 2020||GNU coreutils 8.32|