|hexen.cfg(5)||File Formats Manual||hexen.cfg(5)|
hexen.cfg - Chocolate Hexen configuration file
hexen.cfg is the configuration file for chocolate-hexen(6). The configuration options stored in the file are the same as those stored in the original DOS Vanilla Hexen. Extra Chocolate Hexen-specific options are stored in a separate configuration file, chocolate-hexen.cfg.
hexen.cfg is normally stored in the user's home directory, as ~/.local/share/chocolate-hexen/hexen.cfg. The path can be overridden using the XDG_DATA_HOME environment variable (see the XDG Base Directory Specification).
The chocolate-hexen-setup(6) tool provides a simple to use
front-end for editing hexen.cfg.
The file is a plain-text file, consisting of a list of configuration options and their values, separated by whitespace. Each option is stored on a separate line. Options have different types; an option may have either an integer, floating point or string value. If the option is of a string type, the value is surrounded by quotes (").
string_value "hello world"
Invalid lines or comments in the file will be ignored, but it is advisable not to put them in the file; the file is rewritten from scratch every time the game exits, so any invalid lines or comments will be lost.
Some options are used for keyboard key bindings; these are stored as integer values containing the keyboard scan code of the key to be bound to. Boolean values are also stored as integers, with a value of zero usually indicating "false" and a non-zero value indicating "true".
- Mouse sensitivity. This value is used to multiply input mouse movement to control the effect of moving the mouse. The "normal" maximum value available for this through the in-game options menu is 9. A value of 31 or greater will cause the game to crash when entering the options menu.
- Volume of sound effects, range 0-15.
- Volume of in-game music, range 0-15.
- Keyboard key to turn right.
- Keyboard key to turn left.
- Keyboard key to move forward.
- Keyboard key to move backward.
- Keyboard key to strafe left.
- Keyboard key to strafe right.
- Keyboard key to jump.
- Keyboard key to fly upward.
- Keyboard key to fly downwards.
- Keyboard key to center flying.
- Keyboard key to look up.
- Keyboard key to look down.
- Keyboard key to center the view.
- Keyboard key to scroll left in the inventory.
- Keyboard key to scroll right in the inventory.
- Keyboard key to use the current item in the inventory.
- Keyboard key to fire the currently selected weapon.
- Keyboard key to "use" an object, eg. a door or switch.
- Keyboard key to turn on strafing. When held down, pressing the key to turn left or right causes the player to strafe left or right instead.
- Keyboard key to make the player run.
- If non-zero, mouse input is enabled. If zero, mouse input is disabled.
- Mouse button to fire the currently selected weapon.
- Mouse button to turn on strafing. When held down, the player will strafe left and right instead of turning left and right.
- Mouse button to move forward.
- Mouse button to turn on running. When held down, the player will run while moving.
- Mouse button to jump.
- If non-zero, joystick input is enabled.
- Joystick virtual button that fires the current weapon.
- Joystick virtual button that makes the player strafe while held down.
- Joystick virtual button to "use" an object, eg. a door or switch.
- Joystick virtual button that makes the player run while held down. If this has a value of 20 or greater, the player will always run, even if use_joystick is 0.
- Joystick virtual button that makes the player jump.
- Screen size, range 3-11. A value of 11 gives a full-screen view with the status bar not displayed. A value of 10 gives a full-screen view with the status bar displayed.
- Number of sounds that will be played simultaneously.
- Music output device. A non-zero value gives MIDI sound output, while a value of zero disables music.
- Sound effects device. A value of zero disables in-game sound effects, a value of 1 enables PC speaker sound effects, while a value in the range 2-9 enables the "normal" digital sound effects.
- SoundBlaster I/O port. Unused.
- SoundBlaster IRQ. Unused.
- SoundBlaster DMA channel. Unused.
- Output port to use for OPL MIDI playback. Unused.
- Gamma correction level. A value of zero disables gamma correction, while a value in the range 1-4 gives increasing levels of gamma correction.
- Directory in which to store savegames.
- Controls whether messages are displayed in the heads-up display. If this has a non-zero value, messages are displayed.
- Multiplayer chat macro: message to send when alt+0 is pressed.
- Multiplayer chat macro: message to send when alt+1 is pressed.
- Multiplayer chat macro: message to send when alt+2 is pressed.
- Multiplayer chat macro: message to send when alt+3 is pressed.
- Multiplayer chat macro: message to send when alt+4 is pressed.
- Multiplayer chat macro: message to send when alt+5 is pressed.
- Multiplayer chat macro: message to send when alt+6 is pressed.
- Multiplayer chat macro: message to send when alt+7 is pressed.
- Multiplayer chat macro: message to send when alt+8 is pressed.
- Multiplayer chat macro: message to send when alt+9 is pressed.