|CF-EXECD(8)||System Manager's Manual||CF-EXECD(8)|
NAME¶cf-execd - scheduling daemon for cf-agent
SYNOPSIS¶cf-execd [OPTION]... [FILE]
DESCRIPTION¶cf-execd is the scheduling daemon for cf-agent. It runs cf-agent locally according to a schedule specified in policy code (executor control body). After a cf-agent run is completed, cf-execd gathers output from cf-agent, and may be configured to email the output to a specified address. It may also be configured to splay (randomize) the execution schedule to prevent synchronized cf-agent runs across a network. Note: this daemon reloads it's config when the SIGHUP signal is received.
- --help, -h
- Print the help message
- --debug, -d
- Enable debugging output
- --verbose, -v
- Output verbose information about the behaviour of cf-execd
- --dry-run, -n
- All talk and no action mode - make no changes, only inform of promises not kept
- --version, -V
- Output the version of the software
- --file, -f value
- Specify an alternative input file than the default. This option is overridden by FILE if supplied as argument.
- --define, -D value
- Define a list of comma separated classes to be defined at the start of execution
- --negate, -N value
- Define a list of comma separated classes to be undefined at the start of execution
- --no-lock, -K
- Ignore locking constraints during execution (ifelapsed/expireafter) if "too soon" to run
- --inform, -I
- Print basic information about changes made to the system, i.e. promises repaired
- --diagnostic, -x
- Activate internal diagnostics (developers only)
- --log-level, -g value
- Specify how detailed logs should be. Possible values: 'error', 'warning', 'notice', 'info', 'verbose', 'debug'
- --no-fork, -F
- Run as a foreground processes (do not fork)
- --once, -O
- Run once and then exit (implies no-fork)
- --no-winsrv, -W
- Do not run as a service on windows - use this when running from a command shell (CFEngine Nova only)
- --ld-library-path, -L value
- Set the internal value of LD_LIBRARY_PATH for child processes
- --color, -C value
- Enable colorized output. Possible values: 'always', 'auto', 'never'. If option is used, the default value is 'auto'
- --timestamp, -l
- Log timestamps on each line of log output
- --skip-db-check, -? value
- Do not run database integrity checks and repairs at startup
CFENGINE¶CFEngine provides automated configuration management of large-scale computer systems. A system administrator describes the desired state of a system using CFEngine policy code. The program cf-agent reads policy code and attempts to bring the current system state to the desired state described. Policy code is downloaded by cf-agent from a cf-serverd daemon. The daemon cf-execd is responsible for running cf-agent periodically.
Documentation for CFEngine is available at http://cfengine.com/documentation/.
PROMISE THEORY¶CFEngine is built on principles from promise theory, proposed by Mark Burgess in 2004. Promise theory is a model of voluntary cooperation between individual, autonomous actors or agents who publish their intentions to one another in the form of promises. A promise is a declaration of intent whose purpose is to increase the recipient's certainty about a claim of past, present or future behaviour. For a promise to increase certainty, the recipient needs to trust the promiser, but trust can also be built on the verification that previous promises have been kept, thus trust plays a symbiotic relationship with promises.
For an introduction to promise theory, please see http://arxiv.org/abs/0810.3294/
AVAILABILITY¶cf-execd is part of CFEngine.
Binary packages may be downloaded from http://cfengine.com/downloads/.
The source code is available at http://github.com/cfengine/
BUGS¶Please see the public bug-tracker at http://bug.cfengine.com/.
GitHub pull-requests may be submitted to http://github.com/cfengine/core/.
SEE ALSO¶cf-promises(8), cf-agent(8), cf-serverd(8), cf-execd(8), cf-monitord(8), cf-runagent(8), cf-key(8)
AUTHOR¶Mark Burgess and Northern.tech AS