- Create a blank MS-DOS formatted hard disk image
[-doFMz4] [-i id] file cyl head sect
This is a convenient tool to generate a hard disk image, pre-formatted according
to the MS-DOS specification, and having stated properties.
A disk image named file
will be created, large enough to have cyl
heads, and sect
sectors. Using -M
value of cyl
will instead be interpreted as size in MBytes.
Additional settings include ZIP type disks, FAT32 formatting, and the inclusion
of an emulation header.
- Use the fourth partition table entry. This is the standard for
- Format the partition using a FAT32 file system.
- The argument cyl is given in Megabytes. Recalculate this to get the
count in cylinders.
- Add a DOSEMU header.
- -i id
- Specify the MBR identity field as id.
- Print to stdout the file system offset.
- Use a ZIP-disk geometry. This needs heads=64 and sect=32.
More information about the Syslinux project can be found on the homepage at <
mkdiskimage was written by H. Peter Anvin < email@example.com
This manual page was written by Mats Erik Andersson <