pbuilderrc - configuration files for personal package builder
contains default values used in the pbuilder
The file itself is sourced by a shell script, so it is required that the file
conforms to shell script conventions.
- Specify the location that the packages downloaded by apt should be cached.
Setting this value to "" will cause caching to be turned
- Specify using hard links in apt cache handling. Changing this to no will
disable hard linking and will copy the files.
It is advised to set this to no if you are using
- Configures where the apt configuration files are copied from. By default,
this value is empty, allowing the usual configuration options to take
effect. Setting this variable overrides other options.
- ARCHITECTURE=`dpkg --print-architecture`
- Specify the default distribution to use. This option only affects when
doing pbuilder create
- Always run with --autocleanaptcache option.
- When this value is set to yes, pdebuild will invoke debsign command
- Specifies the default location for the archived chroot image to be created
and used. This is overridden with the option --basetgz.
- When this value is set, pbuilder will mount these directories using
bind-mount. Do not bind-mount /
- The default place which the chroot is constructed. pbuilder will
use the directory $BUILDPLACE$$. which means, that it will use the
directory and the PID to determine the directory to use. This should
obtain an unique directory for concurrent runs of pbuilder in one machine.
This is not guaranteed to happen on network shared drives, so be aware of
this fact when playing with this option on NFS shared beowulf clusters.
Change it to something like /var/cache/pbuilder/build/$HOSTNAME/
when doing such a thing.
pbuilder clean cleans up this directory.
- Specify the default directory which the build result will be copied over
to after the building.
Unlike --buildresult command-line option. The path is not
canonicalized, so you should specify a full-path, not a relative
- Specifies where ccache will keep its cached compiler output. If this is
specified, ccache will be installed upon pbuilder create or pbuilder
update, /usr/lib/ccache will be prepended to the PATH, CCACHEDIR will be
bind-mounted in the chroot, and CCACHE_DIR will be set to CCACHEDIR. Note
that files in CCACHEDIR are chowned to BUILDUSERID (1234 by default).
- Set the UID and GID of the files built as result. They probably need to be
set to numeric UID values, so that it works the same inside the chroot and
outside the chroot.
If sudo is used, the values specified by sudo is used. They are
SUDO_UID, and SUDO_GID. The default value is 0
- This option is used on invocation of fakeroot for dpkg-buildpackage
- The uid to be used inside chroot. It should ideally not collide with
user-id outside the chroot, to avoid user inside chroot having access to
processes owned by the user id outside the chroot.
- The user name of the user the build will run as. Specifying this will
enable the use of fakeroot inside pbuilder.
Note that this will require fakeroot to be installed within the chroot, and
fakeroot will automatically be installed. And -rfakeroot will be
added to DEBBUILDOPTS
- Specify the default distribution components to use. This option is
space-delimited. This option only affects when doing pbuilder
create or when --override-config is specified for pbuilder
- Program to use for compression and decompression of the base.tgz. The
default is to use gzip, and any program that can be used for the
--use-compress-program option of tar can be given.
If set to "pigz", compression and decompression is gzip compatible
but will use all available CPUs.
- export http_proxy=http://your-proxy:8080/
- Defines the proxy for http connection.
- export DEBIAN_BUILDARCH=athlon
- Uses this variable as DEBIAN_BUILDARCH. This trick can be used for
other environmental variables as well.
- The options given here will be passed on to dpkg-buildpackage. This
can be useful e.g. for binary-only builds. The command-line option
--debbuildopts will be appended to any contents specified here but
may also be used to reset the list of options.
The default value is to build source and binary package.
- DEBOOTSTRAPOPTS=( '--variant=buildd' '--keyring'
- When this option is set to --variant=buildd pbuilder will
invoke $DEBOOTSTRAP with --variant=buildd option, which
results in debootstrap creating a minimal chroot for buildd instead of
trying to create a minimal installation chroot. --keyring is used
to specify a keyring for debootstrap.
- Additional keyrings to use for package verification with apt, not used for
debootstrap (use $DEBOOTSTRAPOPTS ). Use this to add (local) signed
repositories. By default the debian-archive-keyring package inside the
chroot is used.
- Use this option to switch the implementation of debootstrap. Known
implementations of debootstrap are cdebootstrap and
- DEBEMAIL=Maintainer Name <Mail@Address>
- If this was specified, dpkg-buildpackage command will be passed
with the necessary sponsorship option -mMaintainer Name
<Mail@Address> on building. Overridden with --debemail
command-line option. The default configuration for pbuilder is
empty for this value.
- export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
- Sets interactiveness of pbuilder run. Setting this value to blank will
cause the pbuilder run to be interactive. Change this value when
noninteractive upgrades do not work.
- Specify the default distribution to use. This option only affects when
doing pbuilder create or when --override-config is specified
for pbuilder update option.
- EXTRAPACKAGES="ccache lintian XXX"
- Specifies extra packages which the system should install in the chroot on
pbuilder create. This is a space-delimited list. Also this is
installed on pbuilder build
- Specifies the default location for the user hooks directory. This is
overridden with the option --hookdir.
If this is specified, hooks are searched for in the chroot, when running
pbuilder. If it is not defined, or is an empty string, hooks are
For details, see pbuilder(8)
- Specify the mirror site which contains the main Debian distribution.
Note that you cannot really use file:/ kind of URL, because the
location needs to be accessible from within the chroot.
- OTHERMIRROR=deb http://xxx/xxx/ ./ [| other deb
- The lines which is added to the sources.list, delimited with |
deb http://local/mirror sid main|deb file:/usr/local/mirror ./
The deb lines here are the ones that will appear at the top of the
sources.list inside the chroot. Be sure to follow the syntax rules
of sources.list(5). These lines appear at the beginning of the
constructed sources file, so this is the place to list your local
mirror sites; apt will then use them in preference to the ones listed in
To make changes on mirror site effective on update
--override-config needs to be specified.
- Specify what pbuilder implementation to use for pdebuild. The currently
possible values are pbuilder and cowbuilder
- The extension of filename used in pkgname-logfile option.
- Always run with --pkgname-logfile option, and create a logfile
named after the package name.
- PBUILDERROOTCMD=sudo -E
- This option is used on invocation of pbuilder build in
- This option is used by various parts of pbuilder to satisfy (i.e. install)
the build-dependencies of a package. There are four implementations:
The "experimental" implementation,
"pbuilder-satisfydepends-experimental", which might be useful to
pull packages from experimental or from repositories with a low APT Pin
The "aptitude" implementation, which will resolve
build-dependencies and build-conflicts with aptitude which helps dealing
with complex cases but does not support unsigned APT repositories.
The "gdebi" implementation, which will resolve build-dependencies
using gdebi tool, faster than classic implementation, and does not require
installation of a dummy package like the aptitude implementation.
The "classic" implementation, which was the original
implementation used until 0.172.
The default is now "aptitude".
- Array of flags to give to pbuilder-satisfydepends.
- Allow untrusted (no key installed) and unsigned repositories.
Warning: Enabling this option may allow remote attackers to
compromise the system. Better use signed repositories and
$APTKEYRINGS to add the key(s).
- Extra flags to give to apt-get.
- Extra flags to give to aptitude.
- Specify the packages to be removed on creation of base.tgz Leaving
lilo in the chroot is like keeping a timebomb...
- Sets timeout time. Build will be stoped with SIGTERM after the set
- Whether to use DEVFS or not.
- Specify yes when it is desired to mount /dev/pts interface.
It is usually a good idea, since there are many software which fail
miserably when there is no /dev/pts being mounted.
- Specify yes when you do not want to disable network access during
build. Network is not available on a Debian buildd, so you might want to
keep the default. Disabling network access currently only works on
- Specify yes when it is desired to mount /run/shm mount
point. It is usually a good idea in order to work with software that
expect shm to work.
- When this option is set to yes pdebuild-internal
implementation of pdebuild is used.
- Specify yes when it is desired to mount /proc interface. It
is usually a good idea, since there are many software which fail miserably
when there is no /proc being mounted.
- Array of additional files to copy out of the build area.
Initial coding, and main maintenance is done by Junichi Uekawa
<firstname.lastname@example.org>. User hooks code added by Dale Amon
The homepage is available at http://pbuilder.alioth.debian.org