ldconfig - configure dynamic linker run-time bindings
] [ -f conf
] [ -r root
creates the necessary links and cache to the most recent shared
libraries found in the directories specified on the command line, in the file
, and in the trusted directories (/lib
). The cache is used by the run-time linker, ld.so
checks the header and filenames of the
libraries it encounters when determining which versions should have their
will attempt to deduce the type of ELF libs (i.e., libc5 or
libc6/glibc) based on what C libs, if any, the library was linked against.
Some existing libs do not contain enough information to allow the deduction of
their type. Therefore, the /etc/ld.so.conf
file format allows the
specification of an expected type. This is used only
for those ELF libs
which we can not work out. The format is "dirname=TYPE", where TYPE
can be libc4, libc5, or libc6. (This syntax also works on the command line.)
Spaces are not
allowed. Also see the -p
should normally be run by the superuser as it may require write permission on
some root owned directories and files.
- Verbose mode. Print current version number, the name of each directory as
it is scanned, and any links that are created. Overrides quiet mode.
- Only process directories specified on the command line. Don't process the
trusted directories (/lib and /usr/lib) nor those specified
in /etc/ld.so.conf. Implies -N.
- Don't rebuild the cache. Unless -X is also specified, links are
- Don't update links. Unless -N is also specified, the cache is still
- -f conf
- Use conf instead of /etc/ld.so.conf.
- -C cache
- Use cache instead of /etc/ld.so.cache.
- -r root
- Change to and use root as the root directory.
- Library mode. Manually link individual libraries. Intended for use by
- Print the lists of directories and candidate libraries stored in the
- run-time linker/loader
- File containing a list of colon, space, tab, newline, or comma-separated
directories in which to search for libraries.
- File containing an ordered list of libraries found in the directories
specified in /etc/ld.so.conf, as well as those found in /lib
This page is part of release 3.74 of the Linux man-pages
description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest
version of this page, can be found at