NAME¶bibdoiadd.pl - add DOI numbers to papers in a given bib file
SYNOPSIS¶bibdoiadd [-c config_file] [-C 1|0] [-e 1|0] [-f] [-o output] bib_file
- -c config_file
- Configuration file. If this file is absent, some defaults are used. See below for its format.
- -C 1|0
- Whether to canonize names in the output (1) or not (0). By default, 1.
- If 1 (default), add empty doi if a doi cannot be found. This prevents repeated searches for the same entries if you add new entries to the file. Calling "-e 0" suppresses this behavior.
- Force checking doi number even if one is present
- -o output
- Output file. If this option is not used, the name for the output file is formed by adding "_doi" to the input file
DESCRIPTION¶The script reads a BibTeX file. It checks whether the entries have DOIs. If not, it tries to contact http://www.crossref.org to get the corresponding DOI. The result is a BibTeX file with the fields "doi=..." added.
The name of the output file is either set by the -o option or is derived by adding the suffix "_doi" to the output file.
There are two options for making queries with Crossref: free account and paid membership. In the first case you still must register with Crossref and are limited to a small number of queries, see the agreement at "http://www.crossref.org/01company/free_services_agreement.html". In the second case you have a username and password, and can use them for automatic queries. I am not sure whether the use of this script is allowed for the free account holders. Anyway if you try to add DOI to a large number of entries, you should register as a paid member.
CONFIGURATION FILE¶The configuration file is mostly self-explanatory: it has comments (starting with "#") and assginments in the form
$field = value ;
The important parameters are $mode ('free' or 'paid'), $email (for free users) and $username & $password for paid members.
bibdoiadd -c bibdoiadd.cfg -o - citations.bib > result.bib bibdoiadd -c bibdoiadd.cfg -o result.bib citations.bib
COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE¶Copyright (C) 2014-2017 Boris Veytsman
This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of the GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.