puppet-config - Interact with Puppet's settings.
puppet config action [--section SECTION_NAME]
This subcommand can inspect and modify settings from Puppet's 'puppet.conf' configuration file. For documentation about individual settings, see https://puppet.com/docs/puppet/latest/configuration.html.
Note that any setting that's valid in the configuration file is also a valid long argument, although it may or may not be relevant to the present action. For example, server and run_mode are valid settings, so you can specify --server <servername>, or --run_mode <runmode> as an argument.
See the configuration file documentation at https://puppet.com/docs/puppet/latest/configuration.html for the full list of acceptable parameters. A commented list of all configuration options can also be generated by running puppet with --genconfig.
- --render-as FORMAT
- The format in which to render output. The most common formats are json, s (string), yaml, and console, but other options such as dot are sometimes available.
- Whether to log verbosely.
- Whether to log debug information.
- --section SECTION_NAME
- The section of the puppet.conf configuration file to interact with.
- The three most commonly used sections are 'main', 'server', and 'agent'. 'Main' is the default, and is used by all Puppet applications. Other sections can override 'main' values for specific applications -- the 'server' section affects Puppet Server, and the 'agent' section affects puppet agent.
- Less commonly used is the 'user' section, which affects puppet apply. Any other section will be treated as the name of a legacy environment (a deprecated feature), and can only include the 'manifest' and 'modulepath' settings.
- delete - Delete a Puppet setting.
- puppet config delete [--section SECTION_NAME] setting
- Deletes a setting from the specified section. (The default is the section 'main').
- By default, this action deletes the configuration setting from the 'main' configuration domain. Use the '--section' flags to delete settings from other configuration domains.
- Prints the value of a single setting or a list of settings.
- This action is a replacement interface to the information available with puppet <subcommand> --configprint.
- By default, this action reads the general configuration in the 'main' section. Use the '--section' and '--environment' flags to examine other configuration domains.
- set - Set Puppet's settings.
- puppet config set [--section SECTION_NAME] [setting_name] [setting_value]
- Updates values in the puppet.conf configuration file.
- By default, this action manipulates the configuration in the 'main' section. Use the '--section' flag to manipulate other configuration domains.
Delete the setting 'setting_name' from the 'main' configuration domain:
$ puppet config delete setting_name
Delete the setting 'setting_name' from the 'server' configuration domain:
$ puppet config delete setting_name --section server
Get puppet's runfile directory:
$ puppet config print rundir
Get a list of important directories from the server's config:
Set puppet's runfile directory:
$ puppet config set rundir /var/run/puppetlabs
Set the vardir for only the agent:
$ puppet config set vardir /opt/puppetlabs/puppet/cache --section agent
COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE¶
Copyright 2011 by Puppet Inc. Apache 2 license; see COPYING
|June 2022||Puppet, Inc.|