|ENCHANT(1)||General Commands Manual||ENCHANT(1)|
NAME¶Enchant - a spellchecker
SYNOPSIS¶enchant [-a] [-d dict] [-h] [-l] [-L] [-v]
DESCRIPTION¶Enchant is an ispell-compatible spellchecker.
- List suggestions in ispell pipe mode format.
- -d DICTIONARY
- Use the given dictionary.
- Show short help.
- List only the misspellings.
- Include the line number in the output.
- Prints the program's version.
ENCHANT ORDERING FILE¶Enchant uses global and per-user ordering files named enchant.ordering to decide which spelling provider to use for particular languages. The per-user file takes precedence.
The ordering file takes the form language_tag:<comma-separated list of spelling providers>. To see what providers are available, run enchant-lsmod. '*' is used to mean "use this ordering for all languages, unless instructed otherwise." For example:
FILES AND DIRECTORIES¶Enchant looks in the following places for files, in decreasing order of precedence:
- (If the environment variable is set.)
- XDG_CONFIG_HOME/enchant (non-Windows systems)
- Default: ~/.config/enchant
- CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA\enchant (Windows systems)
- Default: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\enchant
- (Or the equivalent location relative to the enchant library for a relocatable build.)
Dictionaries are looked for in a subdirectory with the same name as the provider; for example, /usr/share/enchant/hunspell and ~/.config/enchant/hunspell.
Some providers may also look in a standard system directory for their dictionaries; the hunspell provider can be configured to do so at build time.