|ident(3tcl)||Identification protocol client||ident(3tcl)|
NAME¶ident - Ident protocol client
SYNOPSIS¶package require Tcl 8.3
package require ident ?0.42?
::ident::query socket ?callback?
DESCRIPTION¶The ident package provides a client implementation of the ident protocol as defined in RFC 1413 (http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1413.txt).
- ::ident::query socket ?callback?
- This command queries the ident daemon on the remote side of the given socket, and returns the result of the query as a dictionary. Interpreting the dictionary as list the first key will always be resp-type, and can have one of the values USERID, ERROR, and FATAL. These response types have the following meanings:
- This indicates a successful response. Two more keys and associated values are returned, opsys, and user-id.
- This means the ident server has returned an error. A second key named error is present whose value contains the error-type field from the server response.
- Fatal errors happen when no ident server is listening on the remote side, or when the ident server gives a response that does not conform to the RFC. A detailed error message is returned under the error key.
BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK¶This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category ident of the Tcllib Trackers [http://core.tcl.tk/tcllib/reportlist]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation.
When proposing code changes, please provide unified diffs, i.e the output of diff -u.
Note further that attachments are strongly preferred over inlined patches. Attachments can be made by going to the Edit form of the ticket immediately after its creation, and then using the left-most button in the secondary navigation bar.
KEYWORDS¶ident, identification, rfc 1413
Copyright (c) 2004 Reinhard Max <firstname.lastname@example.org>