addftinfo - add information to troff font files for use with groff
[-x-height n] res
addftinfo reads a troff font file and adds some additional font-metric
information that is used by the groff system. The font file with the
information added is written on the standard output. The information added is
guessed using some parametric information about the font and assumptions about
the traditional troff names for characters. The main information added is the
heights and depths of characters. The res and unitwidth
arguments should be the same as the corresponding parameters in the DESC file;
font is the name of the file describing the font; if font ends
with I the font will be assumed to be italic.
-v prints the version number.
All other options change one of the parameters that are used to
derive the heights and depths. Like the existing quantities in the font
file, each value is in inches/res for a font whose point size
is unitwidth. param-option must be one of:
- The height of lowercase letters without ascenders such as x.
- The height of figures (digits).
- The height of characters with ascenders, such as b, d or l.
- The height of characters such as parentheses.
- The height of uppercase letters such as A.
- The depth of a comma.
- The depth of characters with descenders, such as p, q, or y.
- The depth of characters such as parentheses.
addftinfo makes no attempt to use the specified parameters
to guess the unspecified parameters. If a parameter is not specified the
default will be used. The defaults are chosen to have the reasonable values
for a Times font.