gwu - Dump a GeneWeb database
gwu [ options ] < base_file >
gwu dumps the contents of the GeneWeb database to standard output.
It's a good way to backup the database in a neutral form, and can facilitate
upgrades to new software.
The primary documentation of gwu is in the HTML
documentation, which you can find in the documentation directory
(/usr/share/doc/geneweb on Debian systems).
Please look there for complete and up-to-date documentation.
- command-line help
- -o <file>
- output file name (else stdout)
- -odir <dir>
- create files from original name in directory (else on -o file)
- save memory space, but slower
- -a <1st_name> [num] <surname>
- select ancestors of ...
- -d <1st_name> [num] <surname>
- select descendants of ...
- -ad <1st_name> [num] <surname>
- select ancestors of ... and all their descendants (has no effect if -a
and/or -d used, option -nsp is forced).
- -aws <1st_name> [num] <surname>
- select ancestors with siblings
- -s <surname>
- select this surname (option usable several times)
- no spouses' parents (for options -s and -d)
- no (database) notes
- -c <num>
- When a person is born less than <num> years ago, it is not exported
unless it is Public. All the spouses and descendants are also
- -sep 1st_name.num surname
- To use together with the option "-odir": separate this person
and all his ancestors and descendants sharing the same surname. All the
concerned families are displayed on standard output instead of their
associated files. This option can be used several times.
- -sep_only_file <file>
- With option "-sep", tells to separate only groups of that
- -sep_limit <num>
- When using the option "-sep", groups of families can become
isolated in the files. Gwu reconnects them to the separated families (i.e.
displays them to standard output) if the size of these groups is less than
21. The present option changes this limit.