ztest - verify the integrity of compressed files
ztest [options] [files]
ztest verifies the integrity of the compressed files specified. Uncompressed files are ignored. If a file is specified as '-', the integrity of compressed data read from standard input is verified. Data read from standard input must be all in the same compressed format. If a file fails to decompress, does not exist, can't be opened, or is a terminal, ztest continues verifying the rest of the files. A final diagnostic is shown at verbosity level 1 or higher if any file fails the test when testing multiple files.
If no files are specified, recursive searches examine the current working directory, and nonrecursive searches read standard input.
The formats supported are bzip2, gzip, lzip, and xz.
Note that error detection in the xz format is broken. First, some xz files lack integrity information. Second, not all xz decompressors can verify the integrity of all xz files. Third, section 18.104.22.168 'Stream Flags' of the xz format specification allows xz decompressors to produce garbage output without issuing any warning. Therefore, xz files can't always be verified as reliably as files in the other formats can.
Exit status is 0 if all compressed files verify OK, 1 if environmental problems (file not found, invalid flags, I/O errors, etc), 2 if any compressed file is corrupt or invalid.
- -h, --help
- display this help and exit
- -V, --version
- output version information and exit
- -M, --format=<list>
- process only the formats in <list>
- -N, --no-rcfile
- don't read runtime configuration file
- -O, --force-format=<fmt>
- force the format given (bz2, gz, lz, xz)
- -q, --quiet
- suppress all messages
- -r, --recursive
- operate recursively on directories
- -R, --dereference-recursive
- recursively follow symbolic links
- -v, --verbose
- be verbose (a 2nd -v gives more)
- set compressor and options for bzip2 format
- set compressor and options for gzip format
- set compressor and options for lzip format
- set compressor and options for xz format
Report bugs to email@example.com
Zutils home page: http://www.nongnu.org/zutils/zutils.html
Copyright © 2021 Antonio Diaz Diaz. License GPLv2+: GNU GPL
version 2 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
|January 2021||zutils 1.10|