xzdec, lzmadec - Small .xz and .lzma decompressors
xzdec [option...] [file...]
lzmadec [option...] [file...]
xzdec is a liblzma-based decompression-only tool for .xz (and only .xz) files. xzdec is intended to work as a drop-in replacement for xz(1) in the most common situations where a script has been written to use xz --decompress --stdout (and possibly a few other commonly used options) to decompress .xz files. lzmadec is identical to xzdec except that lzmadec supports .lzma files instead of .xz files.
To reduce the size of the executable, xzdec doesn't support multithreading or localization, and doesn't read options from XZ_DEFAULTS and XZ_OPT environment variables. xzdec doesn't support displaying intermediate progress information: sending SIGINFO to xzdec does nothing, but sending SIGUSR1 terminates the process instead of displaying progress information.
- -d, --decompress, --uncompress
- Ignored for xz(1) compatibility. xzdec supports only decompression.
- -k, --keep
- Ignored for xz(1) compatibility. xzdec never creates or removes any files.
- -c, --stdout, --to-stdout
- Ignored for xz(1) compatibility. xzdec always writes the decompressed data to standard output.
- -q, --quiet
- Specifying this once does nothing since xzdec never displays any warnings or notices. Specify this twice to suppress errors.
- -Q, --no-warn
- Ignored for xz(1) compatibility. xzdec never uses the exit status 2.
- -h, --help
- Display a help message and exit successfully.
- -V, --version
- Display the version number of xzdec and liblzma.
- All was good.
- An error occurred.
xzdec doesn't have any warning messages like xz(1) has, thus the exit status 2 is not used by xzdec.
xzdec and lzmadec are not really that small. The size can be reduced further by dropping features from liblzma at compile time, but that shouldn't usually be done for executables distributed in typical non-embedded operating system distributions. If you need a truly small .xz decompressor, consider using XZ Embedded.
XZ Embedded: <https://tukaani.org/xz/embedded.html>