|opendkim-genkey(8)||System Manager's Manual||opendkim-genkey(8)|
NAME¶opendkim-genkey - DKIM filter key generation tool
DESCRIPTION¶opendkim-genkey generates (1) a private key for signing messages using opendkim(8) and (2) a DNS TXT record suitable for inclusion in a zone file which publishes the matching public key for use by remote DKIM verifiers.
The filenames of these are based on the selector (see below); the private key will have a suffix of ".private" and the TXT record will have a suffix of ".txt".
Both long and short names are supported for most options.
- (--append-domain) Appends the domain name (see -d below) to the label in the generated TXT record, followed by a trailing period. By default it is assumed the domain name is implicit from the context of the zone file, and is therefore not included in the output.
- -b bits
- (--bits=n) Specifies the size of the key, in bits, to be generated. The upstream default is 1024 which is the value recommended by the DKIM specification, but in Debian the default is 2048 based on more current recommendations such as those from NIST 800-177.
- -d domain
- (--domain=string) Names the domain which will use this key for signing. Currently only used in a comment in the TXT record file. The default is "localhost".
- -D directory
- (--directory=path) Instructs the tool to change to the named directory prior to creating files. By default the current directory is used.
- -h algorithms
- (--hash-algorithms=name[:name[...]]) Specifies a list of hash algorithms which can be used with this key. Upstream, by default all hash algorithms are allowed, but in Debian this is restricted to sha256 based on NIST 800-177.
- Print a help message and exit.
- -n note
- (--note=string) Includes arbitrary note text in the key record. By default, no such text is included.
- (--restricted) Restricts the key for use in e-mail signing only. The default is to allow the key to be used for any service.
- -s selector
- (--selector=name) Specifies the selector, or name, of the key pair generated. The default is "default".
- (--[no]subdomains) Disallows subdomain signing by this key. By default the key record will be generated such that verifiers are told subdomain signing is permitted. Note that for backward compatibility reasons, -S means the same as --nosubdomains.
- (--[no]testmode) Indicates the generated key record should be tagged such that verifiers are aware DKIM is in test at the signing domain.
- (--verbose) Increase verbose output.
- (--version) Print version number and exit.
NOTES¶Requires that the openssl(8) binary be installed and in the executing shell's search path.
VERSION¶This man page covers the version of opendkim-genkey that shipped with version 2.11.0 of OpenDKIM.
COPYRIGHT¶Copyright (c) 2007, 2008 Sendmail, Inc. and its suppliers. All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 2009, 2011-2013, The Trusted Domain Project. All rights reserved.
SEE ALSO¶opendkim(8), openssl(8)
RFC6376 - DomainKeys Identified Mail
|The Trusted Domain Project|