dovecot-lda - Dovecot's local mail delivery agent
dovecot-lda [-ek] [-a address] [-c config_file] [-d username] [-f envelope_sender] [-m mailbox] [-o setting=value] [-p path]
The dovecot-lda is a local mail delivery agent which takes mail from an MTA and delivers it to a user's mailbox, while keeping Dovecot index files up to date.
Main features of the dovecot-lda are:
- Mailbox indexing during mail delivery, providing faster mailbox access later
- Quota enforcing by the quota plugin
- Sieve language support by the Pigeonhole sieve plugin
Options accepted by dovecot-lda:
- -a address
- Destination address (e.g. user+ext@domain). Default is the same as username.
- -c config_file
- Alternative configuration file path.
- -d username
- Destination username. If given, the user information is looked up from userdb. Typically used with virtual users, but not necessarily with system users.
- If mail gets rejected, write the rejection reason to stderr and exit with status 77 (EX_NOPERM). The default is to send a rejection mail ourself.
- -f envelope_sender
- Envelope sender address.
- Don't clear all environment at startup.
- -m mailbox
- Destination mailbox (default is INBOX). If the mailbox doesn't exist, it will not be created (unless the lda_mailbox_autocreate setting is set to yes). If a message couldn't be saved to the mailbox for any reason, it's delivered to INBOX instead.
- -o setting=value
- Overrides the configuration setting from /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf and from the userdb with the given value. In order to override multiple settings, the -o option may be specified multiple times.
- -p path
- Path to the mail to be delivered instead of reading from stdin. If using maildir the file is hard linked to the destination if possible. This allows a single mail to be delivered to multiple users using hard links, but currently it also prevents deliver from updating cache file so it shouldn't be used unless really necessary.
dovecot-lda will exit with one of the following values:
- Delivery was successful. (EX_OK)
- Invalid parameter given. (EX_USAGE)
- -e option was used and mail was rejected. Typically this happens when user is over quota and quota_full_tempfail = no is configured. (EX_NOPERM)
- A temporary failure. This is returned for almost all failures. See the log file for details. (EX_TEMPFAIL)
- Dovecot's main configuration file.
- Mailbox locations and namespaces.
- LDA specific settings.
- Plugin specific settings.
- Quota configuration.
Report bugs, including doveconf -n output, to the Dovecot Mailing List <firstname.lastname@example.org>. Information about reporting bugs is available at: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html
Related MTA specific documentation: