|CHICKEN-INSTALL(1)||General Commands Manual||CHICKEN-INSTALL(1)|
download and install extension libraries for CHICKEN
||[OPTION ...] [NAME[:VERSION] ...]|
chicken-install downloads, compiles and
installs a prepackaged extension library from sources. If no extension name
is given on the command line, then any existing
descriptions in the current directory will be executed in unspecified
The program accepts following arguments:
- Show usage and exit.
- Show version and exit.
- Print extra information during installation.
- Install without confirmation, even if versions don't match.
- Keep temporary files.
- Use an external program to elevate privileges for filesystem operations.
The program defaults to sudo(8) but can be overridden
- Just retrieve the egg, don't install it (giving
-rmore than once implies
-retrieveis given, also fetch dependencies recursively.
- Do not build or install, just print the locations of the generated build & install scripts.
- List available versions for the given eggs.
- Remove cached files for given eggs (or purge cache completely).
- When cross-compiling, only compile extensions for host.
- When cross-compiling, only compile extensions for target.
- Run included test cases, if available.
- Do not install the egg, just build it.
- Do not install dependencies. Note that this option may result in build failures due to missing extension libraries.
- Update export database.
- Print path used for egg installation.
- Override versions for installed eggs with information from filename.
- Install eggs listed in filename, which has the same
format as chicken-status(1)'s
-listoutput. This option may be given multiple times.
- Install given eggs from cache and do not download.
- Register feature name, usable as a condition in cond-expand clauses.
Following environment variables change the behaviour of
- Location where eggs are retrieved and built.
- The path where extension libraries are installed. Defaults to the package library path selected during configuration (usually /var/lib/chicken/<binary-version>).
- The command to execute when using
-sflag in command. If not provided, defaults to sudo(8).
- User specific setup.defaults file. (
$XDG_CONFIG_HOMEdefaults to $HOME/.config )
- System-wide setup.defaults file.
- Default directory for cached eggs. (
$XDG_CACHE_HOMEdefaults to $HOME/.cache )
chicken-install utility exits 0 on
success, 2 if the user aborted an operation, 3 if it was invoked with no
explicitly given egg names and no *.egg files could be found in the current
directory, and >0 if any other error occurs.
Install ‘regex’ egg as root user:
# chicken-install regex
Install an egg as an normal user but using sudo(8):
$ chicken-install -s regex
Install an egg as an normal user but elevating privileges with different program, such as OpenBSD doas(1):
$ SUDO=/usr/bin/doas chicken-install -s regex
More information can be found in the CHICKEN User's Manual.
The CHICKEN Team
Submit bug reports by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
|April 26, 2017||Debian|